Virtut and Chaine (WIP)

> Scripts > User Scripts > Virtut and Chaine (WIP)

VIRTUT AND CHAINE DISCUSSION THREAD

ABOUT: Virtut and Chaine are sister and brother to be found in some cave or dungeon or wherever someone puts them xD
Virtut is an NPC I dedicate to our one and only Kris. Because everyone should have a companion in their Skyrim adventures and it’s not nearly as fun to read the dialogues you wrote yourself :9 Chaine came out as a surprise package deal. Unpredictable brains, what can you do.

I have 2 small quests planned for them, but since I couldn’t code my way out of a paper bag, it would be great if someone felt like collaborating on that front, or they will forever remain just a concept and sad dialogues rolling around in this Wiki.

I had some basic draft of their personalities before writing anything, which of course changed as I went, so I won’t even bother trying to describe them until the content is done.

The dialogues will work with a Romance variable (mostly present in the player-initiated talks) that will define what appears on the menu. Upon reaching a given amount of Romance points and having completed both quests, Dragonborn will be able to marry the sibling of their choice. There will be specific topics post-marriage, but as far as the NPCs are concerned, a romance will be working with or without the Mara temple shebang (and they will not cook meals for you, and they will not turn to lovely house-wife house-husband greeting you after long travels giving gold from their shop or whatever. Not happening).

Theoretically this system means you could romance them and have a spouse, but I’ll leave it to your conscience. Unless the coder will make magic and check for the marriage variable which could let me have some response fun. I do not want to automatically turn off the romance in that case, let Dragonborn be berated for their cheatery :P We shall see.

IMPORTANTO MATTERO (for the skilled modder):

– they have 2 states they can be in: ghostly and corporal

– relationship with them can have 3 stages: companionship, romance, marriage

– romance stage triggers automatically after reaching a given number of romance points

– marriage option can only appear once there are enough romance points (a few more than for romance chat to appear)

– romance points are mostly gained through the player initiated talks

About the format of the dialogues:

I used a system of number-to-number. Meaning every Player line is marked with a number, and the NPC response that follows bears the same number. For example:

Player: I initiate this conversation.

NPC: What do you need?

~ I’m player and I say option one. #1

~ I’m another option for the player to pick. #2

~ I’m a third possibility. #3

+ I’m the NPC’s response to the player option tagged as 1.

~ I’m a new response to waht was just said and I lead to a new NPC line. #4

~ I’m actually gonna link to same thing as the third possibility from another block. #3

~ I think we should stop talking and go back to playing.

+ I’m the NPC’s response to the player option tagged as 2.

~ player yada yada #5

~ yada yada option 2 #2

+ NPC line bla bla for option 3. Etc

When it comes to the smaller chats (tiny branching) I used a more condensed visuals, but the mechanic is basically the same. I hope it’s clear, but if it’s not, just ask :) Whenever the ROMANCE variable is to rise, I noted it in brackets. And I noted the places where it’s used for check (it doesn’t happen mid-talk, only the triggering of the talk can be defined by that variable. Let’s not get crazy, yeah?). The lines NPC says are always bolded. In the smaller talks PC talks are in italics for the sake of better visibility.